Join the Western Equestrian Society Family..
WES: An All Breed Society
The Western Equestrian Society (WES) was formed in 1985 to promote the discipline of Western Riding to the standard as practised in the United States.
We promote the sport for enthusiasts at all levels, whether pure beginners or seasoned competitors. You can enjoy all of our ridden activities with ANY breed of horse or pony. Members participate with Highland ponies, Welsh ponies and cobs, traditional cobs, Haflingers, Arabians and also the various western breeds. In fact, you name the breed and there’s probably a WES member out there riding it in a western saddle! We like a bit of variety!
We offer something for everyone
As with all clubs and societies some members enjoy competition and some prefer to do other things. WES offers something for everyone. Typical events range from 2 or 3 day training camps, one day clinics, social events and organised trail rides – we even run a Trail Award scheme so that non-competitive riders can be recognised for their hours spent in western saddle! There are plenty of opportunities to do all of these things, as well as to compete. But whatever you choose to do, the focus at all of our events is to have fun and enjoy our horses and each other’s company in a very relaxed and informal atmosphere. That goes for officials and competitors alike.
There are a couple of things that make us unique in the UK western community. The first is the fact that we’re an ‘all-breed’ society. But possibly the most distinctive feature is that we are national society that operates a regional infrastructure, and can deliver greater access to western events than any other western organisation in the UK. Through our affiliation with other western organisations, such as the AQHA-UK, APHA-UK and the regional circuits (the Garden of England Circuit and the Sherwood Circuit), and through our network of 13 Area Representatives, we provide access to events at local level.
We know that taking the first step into the world of western can be difficult, that’s why WES has also endorsed the Western Rider Development Programme, an online training programme that is available exclusively to WES members in the UK and Ireland.
… and a whole lot more…
So, if that sounds good to you…. why not be a part of it?
- Promotes affiliated show classes up and down the country, with classes for the novice horse or rider right through to advanced levels – all WES classes are open to any breed of horse wearing western tack.
- It promotes clinics with professional instructors from the UK and overseas to help horse and rider at any level.
- It encourages the growth of the sport by recognising Instructors who have reached a satisfactory standard to teach Western Riding and who are only too willing to help you progress.
- It circulates to all members a quarterly magazine with show results, reports of area and national activities.
- It promotes a Trail Riding Award Scheme for those who hack out in Western Tack – with a presentation buckle award for 250 hours riding.
- It provides a list of qualified judges and stewards to officiate at shows.
- It organises an Annual National Championship Show and it maintains a National points table with annual Hi-point awards.
- It provides activities, organised on an Area basis via a network of Area and County Representatives supported by the Society.